Monday, July 30, 2012

What's Your Giant?


This morning  I felt saddened and overwhelmed at the effects of sin in the world. My heart was burdened for myself, family, friends and those whose lives face the giants of depression, fear, and addictions.  We all, in a sense and at times, have become enslaved to their lies.  For what felt like too long, the barrage of sorrow seemed both relentless and endless!

But the Lord brought His comfort to my spirit.  Wiping the tears from my eyes, I opened up His word and He led me to 1 Samuel 17.  Mmm-hmmm, the account of David and Goliath!


Saul said to David: 33-- "You are not able to go out against this Philistine and fight him; you are only a young man, and he has been a warrior from his youth.”  Well, doesn't that just ring with encouragement? Not!


Listen, David had experience with God!  He knew of His faithfulness and His ability to deliver: 37--"The Lord who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.”


Friend, what is your 'Philistine'?  May I encourage you to stand against the enemy who desires to steal(from), kill and destroy you? Don't give him the satisfaction of leaving you on the curb!  Take up the shield of faith, and move forward!


As I read on, I began to personalize the scripture. I placed MY name where David's name is recorded.  I read it like this:


45--David (LINDA) said to the Philistine (HER ENEMY, ie. fear, depression, addictions, etc.), “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46--This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 47--All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.” 


To restate the last portion of this passage:  "...for the battle is the Lord's...".  When it's His glory that we want to reflect and reveal, I know He will bring the victory!!  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, I liked it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked! Thanks for stopping by! Hope to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete