Friday, July 13, 2012

Not Just Your Ordinary Pancake


This morning I chose to make our family's favorite pancakes for breakfast. They're taken from a recipe I found years ago. I've made them so often that I don't even have to refer to the recipe anymore.  I have it memorized. I'm pretty sure you have a few family favorites like this as well.

 After breakfast I, along with the children, like to open God's word, the Bible, to read a portion and ponder it for the day. But today I decided that the booklet we usually use to assist with family devotions, was a little more than what I felt the kids could relate to.   So taking the immediate example at hand of our favorite breakfast, Psalm 34:8 came to mind.   It reads:

"Taste and see that the Lord is good;  blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him."


This became our verse for the day!  Like the yummy pancakes our family loves so much,  we need to 'taste and see that the LORD is good"!  Ultimately, even more so!

Nothing compares to His justice, His fairness, His mercy, His love, His grace, His wisdom and the host of other superlative characteristics that make up who He is.  Seriously, don't we all cry for justice when a murderer is finally taken into custody?  We long for life's situations and circumstances to be fair, don't we?  And, how about when we make a legitimate mistake,  grace is like a welcomed friend.  I think you'd agree too that to be loved is much more desireable than not (being loved).   Even in those times when we must make a decision.  Don't we want to have all of the information necessary before acting on a premise?  Sure we do!  And yet, as many good, earthly examples that we've been blessed to have, they tend to wane in light of His.

Inwardly, we honestly desire God and all that He is.   Some may call it a God-vacuum that nothing but God can quench or fulfill.  Our ultimate longings can only be met by tasting of the Lord.   By allowing me to compare my family's favorite pancakes to try and describe the goodness of the Lord,  will you then take into consideration the incr-edible satisfaction of what knowing Him is like?  I hope so!  A good starting place to become better acquainted with the Lord's delicacies (His character) would be His love letter to you, the Bible. It is filled from cover to cover of accounts of how He interacted with those who called on Him in times of need.

Now, I understand that you may forget the analogy of my family's favorite pancakes, and that's okay.  What matters most is that you take that step to open His word and sample for yourself the goodness of the Lord...blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him!

3 comments:

  1. "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him," is a definite favorite for me. Keep up the posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just awarded you here: http://lindyslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete