Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Gifts From God

Many but not all women have had the privilege of bearing children.  To those who have, you know that this blessing is one that comes with tremendous responsibility.  From day one when we bring our little bundle of joy home from the hospital, we begin meeting their needs, 24/7.  Grateful are we for those family members and friends who at times provided us with a little time for rest and the regrouping of our faculties!


I personally have been granted the privilege of bringing five children, with the help of my husband, into this world.  Our children range in age from 20yrs all the way down to 8.  From the very beginning of our marriage, we agreed that if God did choose to give us children, that I would forego a career to become a full-time stay-at-home mom.  I basically never regretted the decision...although I had often wished that Calgon would've 'taken me away'! 


In all honesty, for the past 20yrs, I've considered it quite an honor to know that God had personally equipped me to be at home with my children. Yet, as the years continue to pass, it SEEMS as if the children don't want us as parents to be as much a part of their lives. We've seen the outworking of this more during their adolescent years. It's a good thing to see our kids making decisions for themselves and becoming the man or woman God intended, but we get a little anxious as we see the results of some of their choices.  

It is in those times of apparent rejection (no pun intended) that I've discovered prayer to be the only way to both calm all my fears and to still stay involved in their lives. I pray for them, their relationship with God, our parental relationship with them and whatever the present issue may be.

Our children are always in our hearts, our thoughts and quite frankly, they're existence is the motivation behind many of the decisions we make.  They are GIFTS given from the very hand of God! Let's not shrink from the challenge of raising children today, but instead rise to the occasion like Esther (from the Bible) did for her people. For such a time as this, Mom, let's stand in the gap for our kids!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment